Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thankful

Every year my class and I have a feast. It seems like a lot of work, but this year I was truly reminded of why it is worth it...

We are going around the room and each person is sharing something they are thankful for. The turn comes to a new little boy in my class. Mind you, he is new because he has been ripped from his home due to his mother's recent incarceration. He is living in a temporary home that is less than desirable. As he begins his turn his face lights up with an ear to ear grin and he shares... I am thankful for today, this is the best day I have ever had.

And this is why we must celebrate with our students. I am so sad for those classrooms that operate as usual while others are celebrating. So often, too often classroom celebrations are the best part of these kids' holidays.

2 comments:

Stacy B said...

Thank goodness students have great teachers like you to stabilize their lives.

Ronda said...

You will never know the far reaching effects of what you are doing in the classroom with your kiddos. So glad you were able to have a glimpse into his life. Thank you for being such a teacher as you are...