Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Grandmas...

I am missing my grandmas today. My grandmas were two strong, beautiful, caring women who were my nurturers growing up, while they did so in two quite different ways. I spent a GREAT deal of time in their care and am ever so blessed for having done so. I can only hope I emulate even a little of these women in my daily life. In my early years I lived in a little town called Sheridan on Hill street two doors down from my grandma Guyton. My grandma Gross lived out of town nine miles on the family 500 acre tree farm. I most definitely spent most of my time at one or the other of these places. When we moved away at age six I visited almost every weekend and most days of the summer. These two houses hold the cherished memories of my childhood.

Crystal Wanda Guyton...

~My mother's mother's mother
~Raised four daughters... gave birth to eight... three sets of twins (two sets died during birth or shortly there after)
~Was alone raising her children during part of The Great Depression
~Was the oldest of seven children... her siblings looked to her as a mother
~Was a homemaker
~Was very social... lodge, game nights, NUMEROUS daily visitors (everyone was welcome), a giving neighbor, talked to anyone
~Wrote letters everyday... loved beautiful penmanship
~Was very tall
~Loved coffee
~Played make believe anything with me
~Gave away her queen size bed to put two twins together in her room so I could sleep side by side with her, but still have "my own" bed
~Held may hand every night when I went to sleep
~Sang me songs
~Loved Wheel of Fortune
~Stayed up really late and liked to sleep in
~Got one of those really big three wheeled bikes with a basket so she could go on bike rides with me
~Hugged and kissed me all the time
~Put sweet notes in my pocket
~Lost weight when she worried about me
~Never gave up on my mom
~Took me to the dentist and sold life insurance to get me braces... she thought smiles were priceless
~Loved to laugh
~Crocheted blankets
~Liked rose scented lotion
~ALWAYS hummed
~Was quite a collector of "stuff"
~Loved to bake pies and can
~Made me peanut butter and pickle sandwiches and frozen fruit for snacks
~Took me on many many trips
~Loved country music
~Had strong hands
~Never had an unkind word to or about anyone
~Wrote in a journal every night
~Bought me lots of dolls and doll stuff
~Had Christmas whatever day I could come
~Loved getting her hair done every week
~Went to whatever church her friends had invited her to or that her visiting children were attending... went most Sundays
~Supported and encouraged me when I decided to go to college
~Loved her porch swing
~Lived a virtuous life

Dolores Jolene Gross...

~My father's mother
~Raised three boys
~Was a high school secretary after her youngest son went to high school
~Loved to garden... had a HUGE garden
~Made me a bean house every summer
~Loved flowers... loved making people bouquets
~Loved living in the country
~Didn't get too socially involved... spent more time with nature than friends
~Sewed... you name it she made it
~Knitted hats every night without looking down... she made them for homeless people and newborn babies at the hospital
~Took me swimming in the creek every summer day
~Made an amazing picnic lunch
~Loved Pepsi
~Was very short
~Took me school clothes shopping every fall
~Love Nat King Cole
~Loved to read
~Loved thrift stores
~Hated house cleaning
~NEVER judged
~Never gave up on my dad
~Took me frog and snake hunting
~Loved costume jewelry
~Had a glamorous mother... she had a closet full of minks and fanciful items from her mother
~Patched the knees of my pants
~Gave me Twinkies and Oreos for snacks
~Was an only child
~Made cookies with me all the time
~Was an amazing cook... liked to cook best on the wood stove
~Bought me trucks, puzzles, and craft kits
~Helped me make my Christmas presents
~Helped me with my homework
~Was called the most beautiful women in the valley as a young lady
~Had an outdoor shower... the only shower at the house
~Was quiet
~Loved taking care of my grandpa
~Was Catholic although I didn't know it until she gave me her cherished childhood rosary when I got engaged to Tony
~Supported and encouraged me when I decided to go to college
~Made me teacher dresses for my first job
~Slept on the porch in the summers
~Lived a virtuous life

3 comments:

AmyP said...

Wow Athena, what a great post. You describe each of your grandmas so well. I too, was just missing my grandmother today. I can't believe that it has been one whole year since she died. We had a yard sale today and sold many of her old clothes. It brought back a lot of memories.

Amy

Anne said...

Tears welling in my eyes...but my heart full of love. I went through and thought about each of the traits that I recognize in you from each of them. They would both be so proud of you.

Lindsay said...

Beautiful.

... and I agree with Anne - they would be so very, very proud!!

Print this out and put in each of your daughter's baby books - they will treasure it!