Wednesday, November 25, 2009

We're Home...

We had a great trip. It wasn't great because we had a bunch of monumental adventures. It was great because I got to share my humble roots with my girls. It has been more than ten years since I have spent time (literally more than a couple of hours) with my mom. I showed them the house I lived in as a child and my grandma's house that I spent most of my childhood moments in. I just kept protecting my girls in a bubble where they are the center of the universe and while they are that very center for me, life isn't always "perfect" and doesn't always cater to them. They needed to be patient in a world that isn't used to little ones, in a world that isn't exactly in their family reference right now. I needed to be taken back to life "before" I started my own family. We are so blessed, but from where I came has everything to do with where I am. Tears were shed when we left, because the visit was more than a blip on the radar. It meant something to us all. Love doesn't always look the same, but it is always important and meant to be shared.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I am so happy that you were able to have some special time with your family and your girls, all together in one place. As easy as it could be to always protect our kids, it would not be real. I am so greatful for your friendship, and everything that makes you uniquely you! The ups & downs of your life have molded you into a perfect friend to me and many! Happy Thanksgiving!

Taunya said...

I'm so glad you got to spend time with your mom! You should know that I always brag about you and the mother you turned out to be. You've shown me that people can come from "humble roots" and be amazing parents. I am proud of you!

:)

Lindsay said...

You ROCK! Has anyone told you that lately?! Well, I am! Proud to know you Athena ... and life is better for many because of you!