Sunday, December 30, 2007

Families

Today I bought myself a movie, a movie that I have always loved... Spanglish. I have decided I need a really good collection of the type of movies I like. The funny thing is that it is hard for me to put a finger on things I really like. I do know I like anything that has to do with the idea of family. I am completely enamored by this idea of famiy. My family growing up... I won't call disfuntional, because we know all families are disfuntional in some way, but I had an ever evolving family. It looked and felt different at any given time. It wasn't traditional in any sense, but it was my family, it is why I am who I am. Webster's dictionary has eight definitions for the word family and I had about eight or so different evolutions of family growing up. I always dreamed of family... I still dream of family... I ponder family. I have a beautiful family of my own now and I often can't believe it. I love the movie Spanglish, because it is in part about the relationship between a mother and her daughter. A beautiful relationship where she protects and cherishes her daughter... her family. I watch the movie and think what a spectacular mother she is in spite of being a single mother in a foriegn country. I love watching beautiful mothering, I love watching a worrying mother. I worry about worrying so much. I just want the best for my daughters. I want them to grow up strong and happy and kind. I can't believe I am a mother.

4 comments:

Anne said...

My favorite post so far! You have so much to offer as a mother to your daughters and as a role model and inspiration to me and other mothers. Are you sure you are younger than me...you sure seem a lot wiser than I feel! You have amazing insight into so many things. Also, if you stopped worrying, I might not recognize you! :-) lol

Taunya said...

You really shouldn't make me cry on the first morning of 2008! :)
Everytime I am with you and the girls I think of how proud I am of you and the mother you have become.

Stacy B said...

This is such a nice post! I love the insight into your family life before I knew you. I still don't know you very well but I sure feel like I do.

Worrying is part of motherhood, at least for some of us. I am always surprised at how much I worry, I was always the child that caused the worry, so I thought I wouldn't worry as a mom.

I think you are an excellent mom, your girls are adorable, confident, safe and happy. What else is there?

p.s. let us know if you go sledding, we'd love to make it out again.

Ronda said...

Oh Athena, you make me smile! You are a great mother to your girls! I guess I need to rent Spanglish and see what it is all about! Blockbuster list, here I come!