Thursday, August 7, 2008

Eugene Day Five...

~Last trip to a thrift store to get the first toy Kyndra had originally picked out... thank goodness "the dolphin" was still there. The girls and I spent maybe $40 dollars total and we acquired; 3 dresses, 5 skirts, 11 shirts, 1 pair of pants, 1 barely if at all used Crocs for 99 cents, 3 pairs of shorts, 2 purses to hold Polly Pockets, 1 Elmo lunch pail, 6 books including 3 Harry Potters, 1 box of flashcards, one play bus, and last but not least one lovely dolphin.
~Missed lunch in the park... well there was one burrito left, but both of my girls turned up their noses. We ate at McDonalds instead and got a couple more Polly Pockets out of the deal.
~An hour and a half in the wading pool waiting for tie dying to begin. I really wanted to help the parks and rec. girls. They could not get organized and were really anxious to call the kids over until they had everything in place.
~Finally tie dying with the "park girls". The girls had a blast and now they have the essential Eugene tie dyed shirts.
~Window shopping down town... I did enter Footwise, the Birkenstock store, and it took all I had not to purchase many pairs of shoes. They were having a garage sale and prices were amazing. This would have broken my strict shoe rules; two pairs of atheletic shoes a year, one pair of summer shoes, and one pair of black or brown(which ever is in rotation) shoes for school. I am due for running shoes and black work shoes, but none at the store fit the bill.
~Ice cream at A & W across from an area in the middle of downtown that was full of homeless youth. I had been calling them runaways, but one of the Eugene crime lab guys told Tony they are homeless youth (seventeen and under), which means their parents have not reported them missing... over 4000... that is daunting and so sad. I had a really heavy heart as I watched these kids who were being totally inappropriate, but they were amongst the only family they trust. I held my girls' hands extra tight as we walked past them... for a few reasons.
~Dinner at Something Something Fish Market or maybe Fisherman's Market. I don't remember the name, but I remember the yummy yummy food. It was fresh... like still alive in tanks. It was quite smelly. Thank goodness they also had outside seating available as well as spaghetti for the girls.
~Quick stop to look at a Jetta wagon... it's hard not to catch the station wagon fever down here... we walked away. We may actually pass the two year mark with a car.
~Another quick stop at REI... also a purchase free stop.
~Play at River Play Discovery Village... THE BEST PARK IN THE WORLD. I forgot my camera, but we are planning on spending all morning there tomorrow and I will capture the amazing fun to be had.

Tony is off studying for tomorrow's big test. He enjoyed class today... the theme was ballistics.

Girls did great with no naps and got over the fact that we missed the puppet show without fussing. Another great day!!! Tomorrow is the last and I still had two more activities on my list. I guess we'll have to come back next year. I am expecting a lot of sleep on the trip home tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Wow...think of all the air you just saved by typing that instead of having to tell it all. I could sense your excitement in every letter. So much fun. Can't wait to see the best park ever. Fair was so fun but so dreadfully hot. Did I actually sign up for this?

Lindsay said...

Totally laughing at Anne's comment right now... dreadfully hot is an understatement :)

You definitely know how to have fun - so glad this has been such a GREAT trip/get-a-way for you!