Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No Bully Zone...

I beg and I plead with Kyndra for details about Kindergarten and I basically get nothing. I get some bits and pieces as I watch her play or totally by accident if she gets on a roll, but none of the long conversations I envisioned. She is just ready to be done for the day and doesn't want to be bothered with the questions. But, today was different. She was really excited to tell me something for the first time. "Guess what Mommy, guess what," she kept repeating. I just as excitedly asked her to tell me about the "what". She was happy to report that bullys are not allowed at Lincoln School. She took this so seriously and I realized the power of this message to five year olds. She knew exactly what a bully was and that it was not acceptable at her school. I could tell she felt safer and more confident. I hope and pray my sweet, sensative girl never has to encounter a bully. I hope and pray her accepting ways break through the exterior of those people we call bullies, who we know have been bullied themselves at some point. I hope and pray more topics or issues will excite her enough to want to share with me.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

If she feels safe and confident... there is nothing better!! :)

May she continue to share and be excited about things that have such impact in our lives!!

apennythought said...

I hope she always feels safe at school. I am so blessed to have you at school when I'm not there. It brings me total peace knowing my girls have someone looking after them as passionately as I would. I'm glad Kyndra is connecting with her 'safe' adults. Ones she can rely on to be tender when she needs it. There really is nothing better!

Stacy B said...

I worry about this, too. I wonder my sensitive girl will handle it when she encounters the not-so-nice girl talk.

So glad to hear that Kyndra is loving school.